About the church move the mouse over the images at the sides of the page for more information
Photos by Stan Eastwood
There has been a church on this site since the sixth century. The oldest part of the church as it now stands is the tower, which dates from the thirteenth century; the body of the church is from the fifteenth century, and is of a pattern frequently found in this part of the country, the nave being in two equal portions - eglwys dwbl. It was probably built and decorated with offerings from the pilgrims to the well. Records show that at one time the roof was thatched and the walls white-washed. It is possible to trace vicars of Llanrhaeadr back to 1522 (eleven years before the installation of the Jesse window); the earliest recorded name of an incumbent is John of Ruthin, instituted in 1309.
Move the mouse over each image for a larger version, and more information.
To go to the page about the Well of St Dyfnog, click HERE.